Search for Sustainable Stuff

Wednesday 11 September 2013

10 things that would make sustainability reporting easier

It's that time of year again....

I am reporting on my  organisation's sustainability performance. Actually I am probably a bit late but never mind, at least I am doing it!

The exercise has caused me to reflect on why it is so hard to report on sustainability. Here are my 10 wishes to make sustainability reporting simpler:

1. If suppliers reported their quantities in a uniform measure. Why does our paper supplier give us a report which switches from boxes to reams and back again?

2. If someone would publish a standard for the amount of CO2 generated by using  different grades of paper.

3. If suppliers would just all either stick to reporting on the financial year or the calendar year.

4. If suppliers who claim that the waste they collect did not go to landfill actually identified where it did go  (I'm a suspicious sustainability reporter).

5. If my organisation arranged things so that the same person was responsible for electricity, paper, water, waste, travel and procurement. Then I would not have to hassle so many people.

6. If I was actually any good at using Excel. I suck.

7. If suppliers would actually take the initiative and send us the reports every quarter, instead of waiting for us to chase them.

8. If the manual for the web tool actually bore any resemblance to the web tool itself. I think they hve given me the manual for a totally different program.

9. If the organisation actually appreciated how much work goes into doing the report and expressed some gratitude.

10. If someone would respond to this blog and share the pain.


 

No comments:

Post a Comment